Friday, April 10, 2009

Tarot Root Pan fried (Sookhi Arbi Bhuji)

In my previous post, some of you expressed doubt over Arbi while others were brimming with ideas on how Arbi can be used to make drinks, appetizers, meals, or desserts. For myself, I am still discovering. I had then sworn to again cook this vegetable. So here I am living up to my promise. Today we try a new way of cooking Arbi. I invented this recipe. Last time I cooked Arbi slightly mashed.
Few facts about Arbi: Arbi is also known as Colacassia. Taro is native to the tropical parts of India and Malaysia.


After peeling Arbi, I made the mistake(?) of washing them. Although my intent was towards sheer cleanliness, my mom advised that raw Arbi is incredibly hard and now that it was wet, Arbi was now slippy and even more difficult to slice. I used a paper towel to dry the Arbi and then sliced it.

This time I wanted to make it crispy. Here is what I did:

Ingredients:
1. 7 large sized arbis, peeled and sliced, then washed.
3. 4 tablespoons mustard oil
4. Salt to taste. I added 1.5 teaspoon.
5. 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
6. 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
7. 1 teaspoon Amchoor (dried mango) powder
8. 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
9. 1 teaspoon cumin seeds

Instructions:
1. Bake Arbi in the oven at 425 degree C for 20 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a non stick pan.
2. Add mustard seeds, allow them to crackle.
3. Add cumin seeds and turmeric.
4. Add baked tarot roots.
5. When the tarot root look roasted, add salt.
6. When the vegetables are golden brown, add amchoor powder and red chili powder. Mix with a light hand.

Serve hot as an appetizer with tea or as a side with steamed white rice and Kadi.

8 comments:

Lavanya said...

hmm looking good dear..i love taro root frys,,simple n tasty naa :)

Chutneytales said...

Simply superb.I love arbi so much.will try this and let you know.Thanks!

Tessa said...

You know I just baked some taro a couple days ago! I've never really tried cooking it before but it went pretty well ;)

Pooja said...

simple and tasty...looking nice...

M said...

Bahot accha.. Raw bahot accha nai laga but aap ne bahot aachi dish bana di. :)

Saritha said...

Looks yummy.I do this curry with tamamrind(pulusu).Will try ur dish

Priyanka Agrawal said...

Yes, Lavanya. I liked it too. Somehow I didn't find it easy to make. Maybe because I am new to it or maybe I was trying to hard ;-)

Madhu, waiting to hear from you!! So excited :)

Tea, What a coincidence? How did you make it?

Pooja, thank you!

M, I know you don't like raw arbi. You have to try the fries though :)

Varunavi! I am waiting to hear. When are you trying it? Send me a link to your recipe. I will try yours :)

Chutneytales said...

I made this Arbi bhuji..and loveed it so much...I made a mistake by boiling the arbi quite longer.It got mushy .So when baked I got rustic looking arbi chunks.But it was so yummy.Thank you :)

Search Food Fanatic

Food Fanatic Search Results