Saturday, April 18, 2009

Idli (South Indian Rice puffs) and New Banner and AWARD!!

Idli is a South Indian rice cake or puff that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The cakes are usually two to three inches in diameter and are made by steaming a batter of rice and lentil.The fermentation process breaks down the starches so that they are more readily metabolized by the body. When cooked right, idli is a soft, fluffy, mellow disc with a texture that melts in your mouth. When eaten with Chutney and sambhar, the combination creates a riot of flavours scoring high in the taste department.

Needs preparation. Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
1. Rice
2. Urad dahl (white lentil)
3. Salt to taste

Instructions:
1. Soak rice and urad dal separately in water for 2-3 hours.
2. First grind the urad dal to smooth paste. Remember that smoother the better.
3. Then grind rice to a coarse paste.
4. Mix them together adding required salt to slightly thick paste.
5. Allow to ferment overnight.
6.Pour a ladle of batter into idli maker and steam cook in medium flame for 15-20 minutes till they are done.
7. Let cool for few minutes before you take them out.

Serve with Chutney and or Sambhar - A true South Indian delight!
Tips: To make life easier, use Rice flour that is easily available in the market instead of grinding rice. Before pouring a ladle in the grooves, 0il the grooves of the rice cooker pans to avoid the idlis from sticking. Use a knife to take out the idlis from the grooves.

Announcements:
New Food Fanatic banner: My friend M created a slick banner for my blog that I totally fell in love with. Thanks, M! A stylish banner was something I always wanted for my blog and probably didn't have the skills to create although I tried a few times. Fellow foodies, do leave your comments on Food Fanatic's new banner.
Award: Madhumati of Madhu's Food Journal honoured me with a 'I love your blog' award. This is a great moment for myself because Madhu's food blog is something for which I hold special fondness. Thanks, Madhu for this award!

8 comments:

Pooja said...

Idlis are looking soft and nice...One of the comfort food i love to have at any time..Congrats on your award..

luckysanjana said...

ohh this is one of my comfort food no doubt.........and these days we have an idli wala coming in everyday to deliver at around nine thirty in the morning........five idlis with 2 chutney for Rs 5....how great is that.........and the idlis are good as well........I think im going to clik a picture of him on my blog today........................

Lavanya said...

idlis looking so soft priyanka..looking like you are a pro..reviving idlis made by my mother ..very nice n tempting da..banner is wonderful with your own dishes..congrats on your award dear:)

Saritha said...

Great banner.I would love to have one for my blog.Great buddy u have:))

Saritha said...

Ops forgot to say congrats for the award:)

Tessa said...

Oh congrats on the award! I like the new banner too!

Chutneytales said...

Enjoy the award!You deserve it..
The idlis are so soft and perfect looking..Hot idlis with chutney for breakfast is unbeatable!
Sorry for the delay in commenting..I was kinda busy traveling!

Priyanka Agrawal said...

thanks Pooja :) BTW I love ur name.

wow i miss those days. u sure r lucky sanjana! yumm makes me nostalgic :( i wana see the pic

thanks lavanya for the kind words. i try dear :) i try

thanks varunavi. my friend might be able to take up requests.

thanks, tea. glad to hear u like it as well.

np madhu! i comment late myself :P i dont mind tht at all. hope u had a nice trip.

Search Food Fanatic

Food Fanatic Search Results