Thursday, February 12, 2009

EVENT: Garnishing tips and techniques for Indian food



Garnishing and food presentation is an art. A beautifully crafted dish is more inviting and makes the meal more memorable.

There have been so many instances when I considered taking a course on food decoration. Fanciful and exciting as it may sound, I could not find such a course. I soon realized that learning about food presentation and decoration is nothing but a quest and a never ending process. There are no rules and regulations, and the skill cannot be taught. Garnishing is personal style and does not need to be elaborate. Simplicity can suffice. The more you experiment and research, the better you get at it.

I have a long way to go and with each attempt to decorate my food, I learn something.
Garnishing only with edibles, using contrasting colors, carving (read: trying to carve) raw vegetable, and not overpowering the visibility of the main ingredient in the dish have become some regimes of my personal style. And I continue to learn and build up on my personal style.

More specifically here are some of my garnishing ideas:
1. I love to sprinkle Cilantro on any Indian dish specially vegetables because it adds color and I love the taste of fresh cilantro!
2. Add Butter or cream
3. Use overlapping onion rings

This event is about sharing and showcasing garnishing skills. You will need to cook up an Indian meal and garnish it. I will feature one post per week as a part of this series.

Guidelines:
  1. The deadline for Garnishing tips and techniques for Indian food is March 15, 2009.
  2. You can use any post from your archive.
  3. The post should preferably be about the presentation or garnishing of an Indian dish but is not restricted to any cuisine.
  4. You must have a picture of the garnished dish on your post and it must be the picture of your recipe.
  5. Link back to this announcement, and feel free to use the logo above.
  6. Send me an email with your post at food[dot]fanatic[dot]recipes[at]gmail[dot]com. In the subject say Garnishing Event.
  7. Please include the following details:
  1. Your name
  2. Blog name
  3. Post URL
  4. What's special or defines your presentation or garnishing style (some rules you follow etc)
  5. How you garnished it
I'll get the photograph from your post. I'll email you to let you know when your post is being featured. Looking forward on hearing from all of you.

Update:
Unconventional wonders: use a stencil
Marvel with vegetables: carve carrots
Simplicity sensation: garnish with edibles

17 comments:

Usha said...

Sounds like a fun event,looking forward to seeing many pretty and beautiful dishes at the roundup!

EC said...

Interesting event..Have sent u my entry

Priyanka Agrawal said...

Thanks, easycraft. I have made a note of it.

Thanks, Usha for noticing. Feel free to participate if you are interested. Looking forward to the pretty dishes at the round up as well :)

Nazarina A said...

Hi Food Fanatic,
Thanks for dropping in on me and thank you kindly for that truly lovely comment!!!
This is a cool event, I shall try my utmost to participate as garnishing means just as much to me as the main feature!
It is a pleasure to meet you and I shall visit you often, I am now following you too!

Siri said...

Hey FF, I did add your event to the list. Happy hosting..:)

Cheers,
Siri

Finla said...

You mentioned to send the chicken takka masala to your event, don't forget my post is a very old one.
So can i still send them.

Priyanka Agrawal said...

Hey Happy cook ...old is gold :D
Thanks and looking forward on it!

Finla said...

will send you the mail with details.

Lakshmi said...

very interesting event here..I will think over something :)

Priyanka Agrawal said...

Thanks Siri and LG

Priyanka Agrawal said...

Thanks Nazarina,

I am still floored with your blog. Do revisit.

Chutneytales said...

Interesting event..Will send something for this event...
And I must say I fell in love with your blog :)

Priyanka Agrawal said...

Thanks, Madhumati. Looking forward to your email.

And thanks so much for dropping by. Ditto for your blog :D
I am adding your blog on my list. Feel free to link to mine. :)

Lavanya said...

fantastic event..I will give a try !!

Priyanka Agrawal said...

Thanks, Lavanya!

onno david said...

I really love how your blog looks. This is a very interesting event. You mentioned to send the chicken takka masala to your event. very good. This year 2009 i will join this event. thank you for sharing your post.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Search Food Fanatic

Food Fanatic Search Results