1. 1 can (540 ml) chickpeas
2. 3 tablespoons tomato paste
3. 1/2 medium sized onion, chopped
3. 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic and ginger
4. 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
5. 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
6. 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
7. 1 bay leaf
8. 2 dried red chili
9. 4 heaping teaspoons chana masala (chickpea)
10. 2 tablespoons lemon juice
11. Salt to taste
12. 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
13. 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
14. 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
Serves 3-4. No preparation required when using canned chickpeas.
1. Heat olive oil in a pan
2. Add mustard seeds, red chili dried, and bay leaf and allow mustard seeds to splutter
3. Add cumin seeds and let it turn brown
4. Add onion, garlic and ginger and until the onions turn translucent.
5. Add tomato paste and mix well.
6. When the tomato and onion paste start to leave the oil, add chickpea masala, red chili powder, garam masala, cumin powder and saute.
7. Add chickpea, salt, and lemon juice. Mix well and leave covered for about 15 mins on low heat, stirring occasionally.
Garnish and serve with hot paranthas or over a bed of steamed rice.