Pasta is an Italian word that means dough. In the culinary world, it commonly used for a dish in which the primary ingredient is 'pasta' (can be in the form of noodles, spaghetti, lasagne etc). Pasta comes in many shapes such as penne, rotini and so on. I was almost unknown to pasta until I landed in North America. In this recipe, we use the penne style pasta. Pasta is easy and quick dinner when I am tired after a long day of work or when I am bored of Indian food.
Here is my tribute to pasta...
Serves 4. No preparation required.
1. 1/4 a box of Catelli whole wheat Penne pasta
2. 1 can (680 ml) tomato sauce
3. 1 can cheese sauce
4. 2 tablespoons oregano
5. 2 tablespoons basil
6. dash of ground black pepper
7. 4 tablespoons olive oil
8. 1 medium sized red onion, finely shopped
9. 1 small green or red pepper, cut into cubes
10. about 1 pound broccoli, florets cut
11. 1 green pepper, chopped into squares
12. 1-2 carrots, vertically sliced
13. olive oil, 4 tablespoons
14, 1 tablespoon minced garlic and ginger
1. Boil water in a saucepan
2. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook pasta for about 45 mins until pasta is soft and tender.
3. Drain the water and keep pasta aside.
4. In another pan, heat olive and fry onions, ginger and garlic.
5. Add vegetables and then add basil, oregano, pepper and cook until vegetables are tender.
6. Add tomato sauce and cheese sauce and cook for 10 mins.
7. Add pasta and mix the sauce with the pasta.
8. Cook for another 10 mins on low heat.
Serve with a side of instant or home-made mashed potatoes.