Fried rice used to be my favorite lunch. Over the years, I have become more conscious of my diet, my figure, and my health which is why I moved away from it. Nonetheless, I enjoy it once in a while. For the past one week, I had been cooking Parantha (Indian bread with curries (sabzi) for my dad. So I figured I deserve rice today.
No preparation required. Serves 3.
1. 1.5 cup basmati white rice
2. 2 tablespoons olive oil
3. 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
4. 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
5. 2 big black cardamom
6. 1 bay leaf
7. few cashewnuts
8. 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
9. 3 teaspoons coriander powder
10. 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
11/ 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
12. Salt to taste, I added 3 teaspoons in all
13. 1 cup frozen vegetables
1. Cook white rice in a rice cooker with water, 1 teaspoon salt, and a few drops of oil. The oil ensures that the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the vessel. Once the riced is cooked, turn it gently, then leave it covered for a while.
2. In a big vessel, heat olive oil. You can use ghee but it wont be as healthy.
3. Add bay leaf and mustard seeds and let the seeds splutter
4. Add cumin seeds
5. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, black cardamom, cashewnuts, coriander powder and stir fry for a few minutes
6. Add the steamed rice and mix with the spices
7. Add frozen vegetables and rice and leave it covered for 10 minutes on low flame.
Eat with raita (yogurt) or just by itself.