Monday, April 20, 2009

Counting calories? Fear no more! Moongh Salad/ Green Bean Sprouts to the rescue...

So I am living by my healthy living, healthy eating pledge. I did a 10k walk in the rain yesterday and going to the gym on a regular basis. I have cut down on sugar and carbs and focus on including protein in my diet. One ubiquitous meal option for a nutritious fat free diet is salad. Salad can be of various types and I've previously experimented with making veggie salad with home-made salad dressing. This time I had some green beans (hari moongh) sitting in the pantry, that kept staring at me, hoping to devoured. This situation seemed to work quite well with my latest health obsession. So I did give in to the desperate plea of the moongh in my pantry. Here is how I went about having mercy on my hari moongh who so wanted to make it to my digestive tract.

Needs preparation. Serves 4-6.

1. Green lentils soaked for 2 nights
2. Red onion, chopped
3. Ripe tomato, chopped
4. Coriander leaves, chopped (optional)
5. lemon juice, drizzled
6. Salt to taste
7. Chaat masala
8. Red chili powder
9. Green chili, chopped (optional)
10. Chopped cucumber
11. Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste.

Fast facts:Moongh is native to India and when soaked for 2 days, turns into sprouts. Sprouts is also common to Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese cooking. Belonging to the legume family, moongh is low calorie, high protien diet.
Tip: If you want more flavour to this salad try tempering salad with olive oil and cumin seeds (jeerey ka tadka). Alternatively, you can boil moongh in a pressure cooker with all the ingredients. But according to me, moongh is likely to be more healthy uncooked.

Toss everything together and serve cold. Breakfast, lunch, or snack? Healthy eating encore!

7 comments:

Finla said...

Wish i could cut down on my sugar that is my real weekpoint. Salade lools yumm and healthy.

Ashwini said...

Looks so refreshing and healthy..Love them.

Pooja said...

Healthy salad FF..

Lavanya said...

good twist to sprouts..healthy one!!

M said...

This looks so chatpata!!!! Love it

Chutneytales said...

I love moong sprouts..This salad is so healthy and looks so good!

Malar Gandhi said...

This is absolutely my plate...I calculate every single bite...I put in my mouth. Nice one.

Search Food Fanatic

Food Fanatic Search Results