Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Chana Dahl (Yellow Split Pea)

I seem to be on an endless quest for good-tasting food that won't play havoc with my weight. What I keep looking for is food low in saturated fat, without any transfats, and packed with nutritious elements. With a mild sweet flavor and a texture that doesn't get mushy, chana dahl is high in proteins. Chana Dahl is made with the goodness of turmeric and the tangy flavour of tamarind pulp flirts with your sense to create an emotional response that is both capitvating and romantic. Chana dahl can be pureed for soups, or used for loaves and patties, hummus/ bean dip, and salads or casseroles. It cooks fast and does not require long pre-soaking.

Ingredients:
1. 1 cup Chana Dahl
2. 31/2 cup water
3. 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
4. Salt to taste
5. 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
6. 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
7. 2 inch bark of cinnamon
8. 1 bay leaf
9. 1 dried red chili, whole
10. Black cardamom, 1
11. Tamarind pulp
12. 2 tablespoons oil
13. 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder


Instructions:
1. Boil chana dahl with turmeric powder and salt in a pressure cooker. Let 3 whistles to blow. Remove from heat.
2. When the lid of the pressure cooker automatically opens, mash the dahl slightly and boil with an open lid on medium heat for 10 mins.
3. In a seperate pan, heat oil.
4. Add mustard seeds and let splutter.
5. Add cumin seeds, cinnamon, black cardamom, bay leaf, dried red chili. Leave for about half a minute.
4. Then add red chili powder.
5. Transfer this flavoured oil into the pressure cooker in the dahl.
6. Add tamarind pulp and mix well.


Serve hot with steamed white rice. Alternatively, serve as an appetizer.

11 comments:

Pooja said...

looking yummy....

Meenal Mehta said...

one of my favorite dals..this looks yummy:)

Tessa said...

I love your food descriptions!

Saritha said...

Yummy and delicious

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow yum. I add little coconut powder also.

A_and_N said...

Looks good! I've never tried adding black cardamom to mine though. And yes, you are so right about keeping the texture and not making it too mushy :)

Chutneytales said...

Delicious dal recipe.I like the presentation with lemon rounds :)

ARUNA said...

hey this is my favourite too.....be it a roti or rice, this is a great combination!

Recipeswap said...

This is a great dish,I too love anything that is high in protein.

Lavanya said...

i never tried like this ..looking yummy n simple!!

Priyanka Agrawal said...

Thanks, Pooja.

Meenal, it's my favorite too. I have it for breakfast and snack too!

Thanks, Tea!

Thank you, Varunavi.

Lubna, thanks for the tip. Send me your recipe if you have.

A_and_N, the black cardamom would be different than the green one.

Madhu, I think I am learning to garnish ;-)

Aruna, You said it

Neema, we have something in common then :)

Thanks, Lavanya :)

Search Food Fanatic

Food Fanatic Search Results