I had a bunch of leftovers in my fridge. Namely, half a red onion, boiled potatoes, and curry leaves. This is what I did to them.
1. curry leaves, a few sprigs
3. mustard seeds
4. cumin seeds
5. 1 thai green chili, minced
6. 2 pods of garlic, minced
7. 2 boiled potatoes, peeled and mashed.
8. salt to taste
9. 1/2 red onion, chopped
10, heeng, a pinch
11. 2 tsp coriander powder
12. 1-2 tsp amchoor (dry mango) powder
13. 1-2 tsp garam masala
14. 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
15. brown bread slices
16. cheddar cheese single/slices. I used kraft.
1. Heat oil in a wok
2. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
3. Add cumin seeds and heeng.
4. When the cumin seeds sizzle, add turmeric powder, onion, garlic, curry leaves.
5. Saute until the curry leaves look slightly crisp and covered in oil and the onions are translucent.
6. Add potatoes, coriander powder, garam masala, salt.
7. Mix well and cook until the potatoes are well coated with the spices and onions and start to turn golden brown.
8. Add amchoor powder and mix well.
9. Take 2 pieces of brown bread and line one slice of bread with a cheese single.
10. Top it with this potato mizture.
11. Cover this with the other slice of bread and put it in a sandwich maker.
12. Let it grill until the sandwich maker says it's done.
13. Serve with ketchup.
Perfect for a breakfast, brunch, or snack.
Tip: This potato filling can also be used as a filling for samosas.