Sunday, May 6, 2012

Home made South Indian Sambhar Masala (Authentic Spice Mix for Lentil Soup)

I have always wondered how an authentic sambhar is prepared. My mom and I would ask any Southie we would see around but never managed to hit the recipe on the right note. Our Sambhar always had a North Indian touch to it which tasted great but it was frustrating to not be able to replicate the taste at South Indian restaurants despite our efforts. Recently, I met my husband's friends' wife and she guided me right. She told me the recipe verbally and on the go but it got stamped on my memory - engraved!

Here it goes:

Ingredients:
1. 6 tsp coriander seeds
2. 2 tsp urad dal (white gram lentil)
3 2 tsp moong dal
4. 2 tsp chana dal (yellow split gram)
5. 2 tsp cumin seeds
6. 1 tsp methi seeds (fenugreek)
7. 1-2 cinamon stick
8. 4-5 cloves
9. 5-7 dried red chili
10. 1/2 tsp heeng
11. 1 inch mace (this is my addition)
12. grated coconut 1/4 cup (this is my addition)

Instructions:
1. Dry roast everything.
2. Make a powder using a blender.
3. Store in an air tight container

Verdict: Dry roasting is not a great idea. Consider frying in oil to easen the grinding process. This masala or spice mix tasted similar to the store bought one (MDH brand found at Indian grocery stores) but the satisfaction of having made it at home was immense.

Typical vegetables used in sambhar are: radish, beans, carrot, green pepper, and squash.

4 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

flavourful masala

Priya Suresh said...

Super flavourful masala..

lubnakarim06 said...

I love the aroma which spread when these spices are getting roasted...homemade is always good...

Priyanka Agrawal said...

thanks, girls, for the encouragement! Is this how you make your sambhar masala as well? I would be interested to know what variations there are, if any.

Search Food Fanatic

Food Fanatic Search Results