It's super easy to make and economical yet healthy and hearty.
Here is the recipe:
1. Masoor Dal (Brown lentils), 5-6 fists
2. Salt to taste
3. Turmeric powder, 1 tsp
4. Oil or ghee (clarified butter), 1 tbsp
5. Cumin seeds
6. Tomato paste
7. Red chili, whole, 1-2
8. Red chili powder, 1/2 tsp
9. Coriander powder, 1/2 tsp
1. Boil dal with salt and turmeric in a pressure cooker with about half the cooker filled with water. Allow 10 whistles to blow.
2. When the lid of the pressure cooker opens, add 2-3 tbsp of tomato paste. Mix and simmer again.
3. Temper into the dal: Ghee, cumin seeds, red whole chili, red chili powder and coriander powder.
Serve hot as soup or with steamed white rice for dinner/lunch.