Paneer is Cottage cheese. Paneer can be cooked in many forms such as Spinach Paneer, Peas Paneer, and many more.
One variant, however, is considered of a totally elite class. Shahi Paneer - the literal translation is Royal Cheese. And indeed is this dish Royal. Shahi Paneer is cheese in a thick and creamy tomato gravy.
It's a typical North Indian and Mughalai decadent that is popular on menus at restaurants and as a special dish at the dinner table at house parties.
1. 1/2 kg paneer
2. Handful of cashewnuts
3. 3 tsp sugar
4. 1/2 medium onion
5. 70 ml tomato paste
6. 3-4 pods of garlic
7. 1 inch ginger
8. Salt to taste
9. 1 cup whip cream
10. 1 cup milk
11. 2 tsp coriander powder
12. 1/2 tsp red chili powder
13. 1 tsp turmeric powder
14. 1/2 tsp heeng
15. 1.5 tsp shahi paneer masala
17. 1 tsp garam masala
18. 1 small thai chili
1. Grind cashewnuts, onion, ginger, garlic, chili to form a paste.
2. Heat oil in a wok and then add this and cook until it changes color
3. Add the masala ingredients and tomato paste
4. Cook until this leaves the oil. Then add sugar and salt. Miz.
5. Add the paneer and cook for anther 5 mins.
6. Add milk and mix.
Garnish with kasuri methi and freshly chopped coriander leaves.