In a previous post, I showed you how to make bharva baigan with Indian eggplants. Today, we use Chinese eggplants and a slightly modified spice mix to make this dish.
1. 1/4 teaspoon heeng
2. 4 teaspoons dhania (coriander) powder
3. 1 teaspoon red chili powder
4. 1.5 teaspoon fennel powder
5. 1.5 teaspoon salt or to taste
6. 1 tablespoon olive oil
7. 2 teaspoon cumin powder
8. 1 teaspoon garam masala
9. 2 teaspoons amchoor powder (dried mango)
10. 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
12. Chinese eggplant
1. Cut the Chinese eggplants into 2 inches long cylinders and make slits on one side
2. Fill the slits with the masala
3. Heat oil in a pan
4. Cook eggplants on low heat, covered, until the eggplants soften. Turn gently occasionally so that it gets evenly cooked.
Serve with steamed rice and dahl or as a sabzi (vegetable) with paranthas!