Sunday, December 30, 2012

Oats Upma

As you know, a healthy gluten-diary-sugar free diet is changing my eating as well as cooking habits.  I've been on the lookout for tasty yet fitting recipes for my well-being without having to kill myself over finding the ingredients. Luckily enough, there is a plethora of cooking tutorials on youtube and recipes on the internet. The recipe below has been clearly copied and I take no credit for this work. Also, I want to thank one of my blogger friends, Priya,  who inspired me to cook with Oats. She is the one who introduced me to the versatility of this super-grain. Thanks, Priya!

Ingredients:
1. Onion, chopped, 1
2. Garlic pods, 2, minced
3. Green chili, 2, minced
4. Carrot, 1, diced
5. Green peas, 1 cup, frozen
6. Green beans, 1 cup, frozen
7. Oats, 3-4 cups
8. Salt to taste
9. Hing, a pinch
10. Lemon juice to tatse
11. Turmeric powder, 1 tsp
12. Oil
13. Curry leaves from 3-4 twigs
14. Chana dal/bengal gram, a fistful
15. Mustard seeds (optional)


Directions:
1. Dry roast rolled oats.
2. In a non stick wok, add oil.
3. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
4. Add in turmeric powder, hing, onions, garlic, green chili, curry leaves, and bengal gram.
5. Saute until they turn brownish.
6. Add in carrots, green peas, beans and water. Let it boil.
7. Add in lemon juice, salt to taste.
8. Slowly add in oats, mixing thoroughly.
9. Reduce the heat and keep mixing until all the water is absorbed by the oats.

Believe me this tasted as good if not better than the traditional Upma. I do not regret any bit of it. 

Healthy eating? Bring it on!

No comments:

Search Food Fanatic

Food Fanatic Search Results