2. Fennel, 1 tsp (optional)
3. cumin seeds, 1 tsp
4. ghee, 1 -2 tsp
5. Red chili powder, to taste
6. salt, to taste
7. cinnamon sticks, 2-3
8. Lemon juice
10. Tomato paste, 1 tsp (optional)
11. Garlic, 2 pods minced
12. turmeric powder, 1 tsp
1. Heat a pressure cooker.
2. Melt ghee.
3. Add cumin, cinnamon and fennel seeds
4. When they start to sizzle, add garlic.
5. When the garlic turns golden brown, add turmeric powder and mix.
6. Add washed chana dahl and saute.
7. Add tomato paste, lemon juice, and salt and mix.
8. Add water.
9. Boil covered for 4-5 whistles in the pressure cooker.
You can mix some chopped fresh cilantro and serve warm with steamed rice, as a soup, or as a side with Indian flat-bread and some vegetables.