Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Gazar ka Achaar (Carrot Pickle)

This is one thing I've had some many times. I've dreamed of making it and asked many people for the recipe. To each one, their own (recipe). But when it came to taking action, I was a lazy bum. Whenever I would go somewhere for a meal that happened to include this pickle, it just made me happier. It is a crunchy and savory accompaniment to any Indian meal.

Recently, I went to an Aunt's house. She was kind enough to give me an entire jar of this pickle that she had prepared at home. I was on cloud nine. Seeing my love for this pickle, when I came home, my MIL made it for me. Here is her recipe:

Ingredients:
1. Carrots, 4-5, peeled and then juilienned
2. Jalapeno peppers, about 2 fist fulls, julienned
3. Oilve oil, 7-10 tbsp
4. Rai or mustard powder, 3-4 tsp
5. Turmeric powder, 2 tsp
6. Salt to taste
7. Sugar, 1 tsp (optional)

Directions:
1. Wash and pat dry the carrots and jalapeni peppers. Then pat dry.
2. Mix everything together.
3. Leave at room temperature for a couple of days.
4. Store in an air tight jar in the fridge.
It will last for more than a couple of weeks.

Serve as a side with Roti, vegetables, or Rice and lentil soup.

1 comment:

Priya Suresh said...

Slurp,fingerlicking pickle..Makes me hungry..

Search Food Fanatic

Food Fanatic Search Results