I am not a fan of high calorie, oily food. But every once in a while I like to indulge. I tried lentil fritters on my last trip to India and fell in love with them. I never thought I would make them myself. Inspired by Prathibha, I thought I'd give it a try. My fritters were not as good as the ones I had on the Surat (Western India) railway station but it was definitely a savoury and popular snack. It was different from the mundane. These pakodas/vada/fritters brought a smile on the face of my loved ones which made my day and all worth it in the end! Thanks, Prathu!
Needs preparation. Serves 4-6.
1. Yellow Split Pea (Chana dahl), 1 cup.
2. 3-4 green chilis chopped.
3. 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro.
4. 1 tablespoon fresh curry leaves, chopped.
5. 1 small red onion, chopped.
6. Salt to taste
7. Oil for deep frying
8. 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
1. Soak chana dahl overnight.
2. Grate it without water until a rough and course paste is formed. Some pieces of chana dahl can be left ungrated.
3. Add to this, cilantro, curry leaves, red onion, green chili, ginger for a few seconds.
4. Make small balls by patting and then deep fry these flattened balls in hot oil.
Serve hot with tea.